Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023-24 in UK:The Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023-24 represent an initiative led by the Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO). This program offers a commendable opportunity for exceptionally passionate and talented individuals. Commonwealth Scholarships 2023-24 serve as an outstanding option for candidates hailing from the most economically challenged and vulnerable states within the Commonwealth, enabling them to pursue doctoral studies at prestigious institutions in the United Kingdom. This endeavor equips them with the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to contribute to sustainable development goals. Furthermore, it inspires high-achieving graduates to embark on research endeavors characterized by excellence. Ultimately, this prepares them to become influential researchers, leaders, or educators within their home countries.
The 2024 Commonwealth scholarship program is designed to promote diversity, welcoming candidates from various cultural backgrounds, ethnicities, and economic circumstances through a non-discriminatory policy. By fully funding their studies in the UK, it fosters valuable collaboration among international scholars and extends educational opportunities to those who might otherwise be unable to afford them. Its primary aim is to address the developmental needs of Commonwealth nations through research support, thus exerting a significant developmental impact. These scholarships also serve to enhance the individual teaching and research potential, subsequently elevating the institutional capacity across academic and various sectors within Commonwealth countries. This, in turn, enriches higher education and research in the UK and attracts highly capable international students.
The Commonwealth doctoral scholarship for international students revolves around six core development themes: customizing science and technology for development, strengthening healthcare systems and capabilities, promoting global prosperity, reinforcing international peace, security, and governance, enhancing resilience and responses to crises, and advancing access, inclusivity, and opportunities. This UK scholarship not only advances the educational journeys of recipients but also refines their skills, adding significant value to their professional careers. Additionally, individuals from diverse economic backgrounds can elevate their respective nations’ global standings, particularly within the Commonwealth community.
These scholarships offer financial support to recipients throughout their studies in the UK, encompassing a monthly stipend and additional family allowances. Furthermore, they provide aspiring scholars with the opportunity to grow and develop under the guidance of world-class mentors. The Commonwealth Scholarship Commission in the UK is committed to offering such scholarships in alignment with international development objectives. It seeks to harmonize British national interests with sustainable development goals by nurturing future leaders and innovators and attracting exceptionally talented individuals. The Commission employs rigorous processes to ensure fairness, inclusivity, meritocracy, and broad access, especially for candidates from low and middle-income countries.
Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023-24:
- United Kingdom
- UK Universities
- The UK Foreign Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO)
- Post-Doctoral Programs
- The duration of the UK Commonwealth Scholarships for PhD students is 3 years.
The least developed and fragile nations, which are eligible for this scholarship include:
- Sierra Leone
- Solomon Islands
- The Gambia
Benefits of the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023-24 in UK:
- It is a globally extensive scholarship program catering to multiple development themes.
- It provides complete financial assistance to those who cannot otherwise afford to study in the UK.
- It provides approved airfare from the home country to the UK and then the UK to the hometown after the award.
- It provides approved tuition fees and a stipend of £1,347 per month, or £1,652 per month.
- It facilitates students with a warm clothing allowance if required.
- It provides students with study travel grants within or outside the UK.
- It provides a paid midterm visit to the home country, family allowances, and a spouse allowance of £290 monthly (in case of no children).
- If a child and spouse accompany a candidate, it provides a spouse allowance of £290 and a child allowance of £143 monthly.
- If the candidate is accompanied by children but no spouse, a £576.61 allowance is given monthly for the first child; £143 per month allowance is given monthly for both the second and third child.
Eligibility Criteria of Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2023-24:
- An applicant must be a British-protected person.
- An applicant must be a native or a refugee of eligible Commonwealth countries.
- An applicant must be a permanent resident of eligible Commonwealth countries.
- An applicant must be available for study in the UK by the beginning of the UK academic calendar, i.e., September 2024.
- A candidate must possess a first degree of at least upper second-class honors standard, or a second-class degree and a Master’s degree by September 2024. If an applicant is applying for a second UK Master’s degree, he must provide a reasonable justification because CSC does not fund such degrees.
- A candidate must not be registered for an MPhil or Ph.D. degree at UK University or any other native university before September/October 2024.
- An applicant must provide evidence that he might not otherwise afford to study in the UK.
- An applicant must have provided all the necessary documents in the required format.
- If a candidate is declared disabled, additional financial support will be provided after a thorough assessment.
How to Apply for the Commonwealth Scholarships 2023-24 in the UK?
- The candidates have to apply from any one of the given nominating bodies i.e. National Nominating Agencies or Non-Governmental Organizations, and Charitable Bodies.
- CSC does not accept direct applications which have not followed the above-mentioned routes.
- The candidates must keep in mind that every nominating body has different eligibility criteria, so they must check the eligibility requirements of their nominating body as well. The candidates have to apply through the CSC online application system.
- The CSC applications and applications required by the nominating bodies are different and the candidates must apply for both.
- The applicants have to apply online through the CSC’s online application system.
- Provide all your standard personal information, e.g., name, address, date of birth, etc.
- Complete all the required fields for the Ph.D. program.
- The candidates have to list three universities and supervisors that will be needed at the time of selection.
- The candidates have to provide up to 10 publications and prizes and a personal summary of 300 words maximum to apply successfully.
- The candidate must upload their relevant undergraduate or post-graduate qualification degrees.
- The candidate has to provide a detailed employment history, and each employee must be described in a maximum of 100 words.
- The candidate must provide three references. One of them must be a current employer.
- Candidate must provide a development Impact Assessment that answers:
- How the scholarships help create a non-discriminatory platform for educational development (up to 200 words).
- How it will help you acquire new skills in your profile at the end of the tenure(up to 100 words)
- Outline how the development will be progressed through such Scholarships (up to 350 words).
- What should be the key indicators of work assessment? (up to 100 words).
- The candidate must mention his role, which demonstrates his leadership abilities (up to 500 words).
- Complete your application carefully and submit it.
Selection Criteria of the UK Commonwealth Scholarship 2023-24:
An applicant will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Academic merit
- Quality of the Study Plan
- Prospective Effect on the development of the home country
Documents Required for the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships 2024:
- Undergraduate and postgraduate degrees
- Up to 10 publications and prizes
- Statement of relevance on employment (up to 300 words)
- A Letter of reference.
- Scanned copy of passport or national identity card.
- The application deadline for the Commonwealth Scholarships 2024 in the UK is 17 October 2023.